Thursday, June 4, 2015

Last night

I made a casserole for my family last night and since it was not a gluten free casserole I made a quinoa burger with an egg in the middle. I put the quinoa burger into a bowl and sat down with my plate of the quinoa burger and cucumber slices and my husband asked if I was going to make the flax seed bread to put the quinoa burger on. I said "no, that is too much food". That was an epiphany in several regards. In one aspect, just me saying that phrase (and meaning it) gives me some power over my addiction to food. The second aspect is that it sounded JUST LIKE MY MOTHER! Which should be a compliment since she is going on 77 years old and looks probably 45. I think the biggest aspect is that I realize how food is affecting my body. If I eat too much, even if I eat too much healthy food, I do not feel good. This journey has allowed me to start listening to what my body is trying to tell me. My eating has become an activity that I am mindful about. I don't just pick something up and eat it now. I read labels and experiment with different recipes. I am swapping out healthier options throughout the entire kitchen. I think the best thing is that I can look at the oreo's the kids brought in and set on the counter and I don't have the overwhelming urge to eat the entire package and then go to the store so I can replace it. That is something I have done frequently and it scares me to admit that openly. To admit that food has that much control over me and that I still have that capacity to act in a manner that is so completely unhealthy. The picture I am going to post is of my mom. My mother is the most awesome mom there has ever been. She is my biggest cheerleader and my best friend. My dad was the most awesome dad too but I lost him almost 10 years ago to bladder cancer. I will post again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment